What size urn do I need?
Just like people and pets, urns come in many different shapes and sizes. Follow these rules to better determine the size of the urn you need:
- In order to hold all your loved ones ashes you’ll need to know what the approximate body weight of the person or pet you are shopping for:
- 1 lb. of body weight will yield just less than 1 cubic inch of ash. Assume for shopping purposes that:
1 pound body weight = 1 cubic inch ash.
- Cremation urn item descriptions list the size of the urn in Cubic Inches. If you know the weight of the deceased – then you know the size of the urn you need. Approx Weight = Approx Size.
- Easy example: A cremated 100 pound person will yield almost 100 cubic inches of ashes. So, if 1 pound = 1 cubic inch then this person would need an urn that is approximately 90-100 cubic inches or larger.
Some practical examples:
- a 240 lb. person needs an urn that is approximately 240 cubic inches or larger
- a 200 lb. person needs an urn that is approximately 200 cubic inches or larger
- a 150 lb. person needs an urn that is approximately 150 cubic inches or larger
- a 100 lb. person or pet needs an urn that is approximately 100 cubic inches or larger
The Funeral Director can't arrange everything - and you have enough on your plate!
Whatever your beliefs, saying goodbye your way is important. If you need advice and a little bit of help, contact Dara O’Shea and Louise O’Brien at RHEA Dara and Louise are compassionate ...
A dignified way to say goodbye. At Irish Urn s, we wanted to create a sustainable business where we can do our part in the environmental emergency - The Sea Scattering urn which is a fully biodegradable ...
Dolmens - Ancient Irish Tomb graves for Cremation and Burial
The Burren - One of my favorite landscapes in Irelands and about .5% of the landmass.It will be no surprise that the Burren takes its name from the Irish word 'bhoireann' meaning, 'a rocky place', which ...
Keepsake and Memorial Jewellery Q&A
Keepsake and Memorial Jewellery Questions and Answers Q - What is keepsake Jewellery? A- Keepsake Jewellery is referred to as many things Cremation Jewellery, Jewellery for ashes, Memorial Jewellery, ...
Traditional Irish blessings for a funeral
Traditional Irish blessings for a funeral ~ Poems to read at an Irish funeral Irish prayer for the departed Death is nothing at all I have only slipped away to the next room. I am I, ...
Keepsake Jewelry - what is it and how does it work
Keepsake Jewellery from Ireland for ashes. When it comes to choosing a keepsake and you want something with an Irish connection and not be limited to mass-produced impersonal pieces, Irish Urns offers ...
What is an Ash necklace called?
What is an Ash necklace called? Also commonly known as Memorial or Keepsake jewelry, Keepsake for ashes, ashes pendant, ashes necklace, memorial necklace, memorial locket, cremation necklace, ...
Memorial Jewellery in Gold and Silver
Keepsake Jewellery – Keepsake Jewelry Just a short article on why they work emotionally and how they work practically. It's really difficult to make decisions about what to do with cremation ashes. ...
How to Choose the Perfect Cremation Urn
Finding the right cremation urn for a lost loved one is rarely a simple task. It is invariably a solemn endeavour, the importance of which can be overwhelming. A choice that is usually made while in ...
Urns for Ashes – Irish Celtic Symbol Engravings
Irish culture is replete with symbols which are rich in history and deep in meaning. From symbols which date back to the times of the ancient Celts to more recent symbols which have a firm place in modern ...